Brandan J. Pratt, J.D., CFP®
- Managing Partner
- Trust, Estate & Guardianship Litigation, and Trust, Estate & Guardianship Administration
Mr. Pratt is a managing partner, who focuses his practice on trust, estate and guardianship litigation. Mr. Pratt earned his BS from the University of Illinois, his CFP from Florida State University, and his JD from Marquette University Law School, Cum Laude. He is originally from Chicago, and worked as a civil engineer and construction manager for a large real estate developer in Chicago before attending law school. During law school Mr. Pratt was a research assistant to the head Dean of the law school and worked as a law clerk for judges in both the Milwaukee County Circuit Court and the Ozaukee County Circuit Court.
Mr. Pratt began his legal career working at a firm that focused on trust and estate litigation in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. To increase his knowledge of financial matters, Mr. Pratt earned a Graduate Certificate in Financial Planning and went on to attain the Certified Financial Planner® designation. Mr. Pratt continued to focus on trust, estate and guardianship litigation when he moved his practice to Boca Raton. Mr. Pratt handles all aspects of litigation from drafting pleadings, attending hearings, taking depositions, attending mediation, participating in arbitration, attending trials, drafting appellate briefs and giving appellate argument. He has handled countless trials and appeals in various Circuit Courts, District Courts of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Florida.
Mr. Pratt has significant experience outside of practicing law. He has served on the boards of various industry groups including the South Palm Beach County Bar Association, the Broward County Bar Association, the Financial Planning Association of Greater Fort Lauderdale, and the Society of Financial Service Professionals of Palm Beach County. He is also involved in the Broward County Estate Planning Council, the Boca Raton Estate Planning Counsel, and the Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar. Mr. Pratt is a frequent author and lecturer. In addition, he has served as an Adjunct Professor at Keiser University, teaching courses in criminal law, real property, contracts, and wills, trusts and estates.
- Marquette University Law School, Juris Doctorate, Cum Laude, 2004
- Florida State University, Graduate Certificate in Financial Planning, 2008
- University of Illinois, Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, 2001
Honors and Awards
- Florida Super Lawyers, Trust & Estate Litigation (2023)
- AVVO, Rated 10.0/10.0 – Superb (2013-2023)
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star in Trust & Estate Litigation (2012–2018),
- American Society of Legal Advocates, Top 40 Trusts & Estates Lawyers Under 40 (2015-2018)
- The National Advocates, Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 – Trusts & Estates (2015-2018)
- American Law Society, America’s Top Lawyers (2017-2018)
- Attorney at Law Magazine, Attorney to Watch in 2016
- Marquette University Law School, Moot Court Champion, 2003
- Marquette University Law School, CALI Award – Creditor Debtor Law, 2003
- Marquette University Law School, CALI Award – Legal Writing, 2002
- Marquette University Law School, CALI Award – Legal Research, 2004
- The Florida Bar
- The Wisconsin Bar
- Certified Financial Planner
- Florida Notary Public
- United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- Federal District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Federal District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Federal District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States Tax Court
- South Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Director, 2015-Present
- Chair of the Probate and Guardianship Committee, 2014-2015
- President of the Young Lawyers Section, 2013-2014
- Vice President of the Young Lawyers Section, 2012-2013
- Member of the Probate Committee, 2008 – Present
- The Florida Bar
- Member of the Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section, Trust & Estate Litigation Committee, 2006-Present
- Member of sub-committee drafting/modifying statutes on burden of proof in trust contests, 2011-2014
- Member of the Attorney-Trust Officer Liaison Conference Planning Committee, 2009 – 2013Estate Planning Counsel of Broward County, Member, 2008 – Present
- Estate Planning Counsel of Boca Raton, Member, 2013 – Present
- Society of Financial Service Professionals, President of the Palm Beach County Chapter, 2012-2013.
- Financial Planning Association, Director of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chapter, 2011- 2012
- Broward County Bar Association, Director of the Young Lawyers Section, 2005-2008
Scholarly Lectures and Writings
- Author: “Disputes Over Possession of A Decedent’ Body at Death” The Florida Bar, Action Line, Spring 2019.
- Author: “What Happens to a Club Membership Upon the Death of a Member” South Palm Beach County Bar Association, The Advocate, Fall 2018.
- Author: “Disposition of Personal Property at Death” South Palm Beach County Bar Association, The Advocate, Spring 2018.
- Author: “Amending Petitions in Contested Probate Proceedings” South Palm Beach County Bar Association, The Advocate, Winter 2017-2018.
- Author: “Determining the Reasonableness of Attorney’s Fees And Costs In Probate and Trust Proceedings” The Florida Bar, ActionLine, Winter 2017-2018.
- Author: “Legal Standards for Testamentary Capacity” South Palm Beach County Bar Association, The Advocate, Winter 2016-2017.
- Speaker: “Dealing with Clients Experiencing Diminished Capacity, Part 2” Society of Financial Service Professionals of Palm Beach County, Boca Raton, January 31, 2013.
- Speaker: “You gotta know the rules if you wanna play the game” Florida Paralegal Association, Boca Raton, August 11, 2011.
- Speaker: “Dealing with Elderly Clients, Incapacity Warning Signs, Causes, and Progression – Legally What Can You Do?” Financial Planning Association of Greater Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale Florida, April 27, 2012.
- Speaker: “Dealing with Clients Experiencing Diminished Capacity” Society of Financial Service Professionals of Palm Beach County, Delray Beach, January 19, 2012.
- Speaker: “The Nuts and Bolts of Contested Guardianships” The Attorney Trust Officer Liaison Conference, Naples, June 23, 2012.
- Eisenpresser v. Koenig, 239 So. 3d 90 (Fla. 4th DCA 2018).
- Winslow v. Deck, 225 So. 3d 276 (Fla. 4th DCA 2017).
- Schilling v. Herrera, 952 So. 2d 1231 (Fla. 3d DCA 2007); Schilling v. Herrera, 962 So. 2d 337 (Fla. 2007).
- Zimmet v. Winkler, 226 So. 3d 846 (Fla. 4th DCA 2017).
- Ashburn v. Cleary, 958 So. 2d 939 (Fla. 4th DCA 2007).
- Velasco v. M5COM, Inc., 917 So. 2d 880 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005)
- Touchton v. N. Lake Estate, Inc., 916 So. 2d 803 (Fla. 2d DCA 2005).
- Wagner v. Hibbitt, 975 So. 2d 1151 (Fla. 4th DCA 2008).
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Adjunct Professor at Keiser University: Taught Courses on Trusts & Estates, Contracts, Criminal Law and Real Property (2006-2007)
- Study Abroad: Sydney Australia, Barcelona Spain, Innsbruck Austria.